Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Hannah's Hope

I've been in a Bible study for the past couple months going through the book, Hannah's Hope, by Jennifer Saake. What a blessing. The book deals with the issues of infertility, miscarriage and failed adoption (as well as many other issues in this realm). The study is through a church other than my own so I did not know anyone when it started. The very first night of the Bible study, surrounded by a group of strangers, I could feel all of these emotions welling up inside of me. One thing that struck me was the great need for support in this area. All at once it dawned on me that God had met a very deep need inside of me that I didn't even know I had (to be surrounded by the comfort of others who are dealing with similar issues to my own). That was humbling enough. But add that to the fact that I have really been struggling with doubts about my relationship with God. And then He goes and proves to me that he knows my innermost feelings and struggles and HE CARES. I could go on and on about this study & this book. If there is anyone reading this blog that is dealing w/any of these issues (or close to someone that is) I would highly recommend this book. Here is one of my favorite exerpts from the book,



"She sought happiness in the arms of men. Jesus provides peace that could be found in none other than Himself.

I sought joy in the new life of a baby. Jesus offers New Life in Himself.

I wanted to know the feeling of carrying another soul inside my body. He provides the Holy Spirit to indwell me.

I longed to nurse a child. Paul wrote, "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good" (1 Peter 2:2-3).

I dreamed of watching my baby grow and mature. But am I ever-growing in Christ? "Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil" (Hebrews 5:13-14).

I bemoaned the "bread of adversity" I felt unfairly called to taste. The Lord answers with the cross: "And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, 'this is my body given for you: do this in remembrance of me'" (Luke 22:19).

I pleaded for a child to enrich my days on earth. He commands, "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" (Matthew 6:20-21).

(Hannah's Hope, Jennifer Saake, 2005, p. 95)

The book (as well as the women in my class), has been such an encouragement to me. Another of my favorite quotes from the book, "We want Him to reveal the future--He wants to reveal His character" (p. 179). I guess, more than anything, I have learned that there is a purpose for this season of my life. I don't know the extent of the purpose, but I do know that at least in part it has been to draw me closer to my Creator. That, in itself, is enough.

No comments: