Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Mythbuster

I worked out this morning before work. Shocker, I know. This alone is a definite mythbusted, but not my current topic. When I left the house this morning at 6:20am the radio was saying it was 2 degrees with a wind chill of MINUS 10. That alone should have kept me under my nice warm flannel sheets & down comforter *pats myself on back.*

The myth is this: if you are outside with wet hair in freezing weather your hair can freeze up and break off.

I grew up in sunny Southern California. I remember hearing this myth at winter church camp up near Big Bear. I believed it, hook, line & sinker. What did I know? I thought I was freezing when it was anything less than 70 degrees outside. Then we moved to Missouri. Now snow & freezing weather are a reality, EVERY YEAR! I've left the house with wet hair plenty of times in the middle of winter (my way too thick hair takes FOREVER to dry)--no problem! I've chuckled to myself about that myth & my gullibility (It's a word. I looked it up :) & it IS in the dictionary).

But wait. Maybe I wasn't so gullible after all. This morning, upon leaving the ARC with damp hair from my shower I had to walk about 90 feet to my van. It took me all of about 30 seconds (if that). Once I was in the comfort of my warming up van I went to push a strand of hair out of my face & it was completely stiff like I had a ton of gel in it or something. I ran my fingers through my hair and yep, all of the damp strands were completely stiff. It wasn't completely frozen & did not break at my touch, but still.

In conclusion: my damp hair, after being exposed to truly freezing temperatures (about 7 degrees at the time) for about 30 seconds was stiff. This myth was definitely not busted. I think my hair would have to be exposed to freezing weather for a REALLY long time to confirm this myth and well, that would just be silly. So, I'm going to have to call this one "plausible."

What about this one: "If you lick a metal pole when the temperature is below freezing, your tongue will stick to it." Myth or fact? Someone else experiment with this one and let me know. :)



Addendum: Bryndyn just informed me that the real Mythbusters already did an episode on the licking a metal pole thing. This myth was CONFIRMED! Here is their result: "When you touch freezing cold metal with your tongue, your saliva freezes instantly, essentially gluing your tongue to the metal object. Unless you have a cup of warm water handy to unstick yourself, it's best not to test this on your own -- even if someone triple-dog-dares you -- as you could cause serious damage to your tongue." Or you can click here and take their winter myth quiz.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I had friends in college from Alaska. They had a great picture of a group of them sitting in a hot tub. They had gotten their hair wet (long hair) and then hung their heads over the edge of the tub and let it freeze. Then, when they sat up, their hair stuck, frozen, straight up in the air. I can't remember if they said anything about it breaking, though.

By the way, I took the Mythbusters winter quiz and scored 9/10. Pretty cool for a girl from the south, huh?

Amy said...

I got an 8/10. The question about the ice falling off buildings reminded me that a large chunk of ice fell off a building when I was working in JC a few years ago and, of course, it hit me square on the head...Some of the worst pain I've ever felt.