Monday, November 06, 2006

A New Tradition

The last two Sundays we have started a new “after church mealtime” tradition. Rather than doing our normal Shakespeare’s Pizza or (even worse) Mall food court routine we have been going home and cooking up our own breakfast feast! Bryndyn does most of the work making cheesy eggs, bacon & “Cajun” potatoes (potatoes w/Tony Cachere). I do the pancakes. We are kind of liking the whole working together in the kitchen aspect of it all. Best part is that Caelleb is getting into it and SOOOOO wants to help! Two Sundays ago he helped Bryndyn stir the eggs. This past Sunday we couldn’t keep him busy enough. . . First, he helped me add all the pancake ingredients to a bowl & stir. What a mess! I begged him to keep the ingredients in the BOWL (vs. all over the counter) and he did pretty well, he just had to stir VERY slowly. At one point he asked me for help and when I grabbed the spoon and started stirring he said, “WOW mommy, you are good at that.” :) When we were done mixing the pancake batter he said, “what do I do now mommy?” Meaning, GIVE ME ANOTHER JOB! So, he set the table all by himself and then even helped me pour the pancakes onto the electric skillet (that was scary). He is such a great little helper and he seems to LOVE being in the kitchen. At one point while he was stirring the pancakes I commented on what a good job he was doing and he said, “yea, I a good cook.” I asked him who taught him that (thinking he’d say either Bryndyn or I) and he says: PAPA T (my dad)! I’m sure we will still make an occasional after church Shakespeare’s Pizza run—mostly because we enjoy eating out w/friends, but I am really liking this new tradition. What a concept? Who knew eating at home could be so much fun! Now, if only we had a dishwasher. . .

4 comments:

Amy said...

You're only allowed to eat at home when I'm not at church ie, the last two Sundays. I will miss you too much if we end our tradition. :-)

Jake said...

So fun! It looks like you guys are doing well!

Jake said...

By the way, that last comment is from Rachel, not Jake. Hi Taina!

Unknown said...

We like to eat at home on Sunday afternoons these days, too! We don't make quite the feast you do, and our reasoning is mostly because Jackson is a cranky pants after church.

I just left a comment on Amy's blog, but I was wondering if you were going to be in Columbia around Christmas. We are going to be in St. Louis, but we would like to make a day trip if anyone we know is going to be there. The dates we have for doing whatever we want are the 22nd, 23rd and 27th. Let me know because I really want to see everybody and to meet the kiddos!