Thursday, November 02, 2006

Trick or Treat

Halloween was great! The kids looked so adorable and it was just a fun family night! We had never taken Caelleb trick or treating before so we thought we'd introduce him to the concept this year. We only went up and down one street but he got the idea & LOVED it! We were explaining the whole idea to him and how you go to houses w/their porch lights on and knock (JUST ONCE--he would have stood their and just pounded on each door until someone answered if we'd let him), then when they open the door you say "TRICK OR TREAT," they give you candy, tell you how cute you look :) and you say thank you! So the very FIRST house we go to Caelleb follows protocal and the guy who answers the door says, "I'm so sorry, we don't have our candy ready yet." Caelleb's face just dropped! Why did it have to be the very first house? OH well, he got over it FAST and probably doesn't even remember now! In the beginning Tia wouldn't walk and just wanted either Bryndyn or I to hold her (especially when we were on someone's front porch), but by the end of the trick or treating experience she was marching right up to the door and knocking w/Caelleb and thanking people for the candy. It was really cute!

Next, we headed to the Hearnes Center (for those that don't live in Columbia this used to be home of the University of Missouri Tigers basketball team until they got their new arena, but it is this HUGE 4-5 story gym on the university campus). They had tons of game booths up for the kids to "win" candy, a bounce house, tons of photo ops. The kids loved it! It was kind of crowded but otherwise fun! A great halloween alternative! Columbia is really a great place to raise a family!


We hadn't eaten dinner yet so after Hearnes we headed downtown to one of our favorite places to eat, Chipotle. There was a guy outside the restaurant wrapped in aluminum foil yelling, "dress like a burrito, get one for free." Too funny! So, all these college kids were in line passing around the aluminum foil to get a free burrito. Caelleb and Tia thought that was pretty funny!


Best part of the evening was that it DIDN'T RAIN! :) The kids were worn out when we got home! Mission accomplished!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I totally should have gone to Chipotle with some aluminum foil. I'm not above public embarassment for free Chipotle.

JustUsThree said...

I just laughed out loud at Amy's comment! *seconds that notion*

I took Levi trick or treating just up and down our street (which only consists of 11 house and MAYBE 5 of them had their porch lights on.)
At one house as Levi was turning to leave the man said "happy halloween" so Levi turned back around to look at him and said "Happy Birthday!" Ha!

Unknown said...

Reading about your Halloween makes me excited for when Jackson gets a little older! It looks like you had so much fun!

I am so glad that you imparted the knocking only once rule to your kids. The kids that came to our house rang the doorbell continously with one hand and banged on the door with the other hand. It annoyed me so much that I turned off the porch light earlier than I had originally planned.