Friday, May 11, 2007

Impact

As a parent I sometimes forget that Bryndyn and I (and our families) are not the only ones who have an impact on Caelleb's life. His preschool teachers. His Bible class teachers at church. Our small group at church. Pretty much everyone at church. His swimming teacher. His Gym Bus teacher. His soccer coach. Not to mention his friends and his friend's parents. I'm sure there are many others. . . As he is still very young I am confident (and thankful) that Bryn and I have the most significant influence in his life right now (we will enjoy that while it lasts). But I was reminded recently how someone who has been in my son's life for such a short time can still make a very big impact. His first T-Ball coach, Andrea. He only met her twice, once at the parent meeting and then at their first practice. She and her family then relocated and Caelleb got a new coach. I broke the news to him gently, because he is a sensitive kid, not thinking it would really be that big of a deal. Oh my gosh, he was so disappointed. It caught me off guard because, honestly, he hadn't spent much time with her at all. But OBVIOUSLY she made a very big impact. I'm very thankful that it was a positive impact. But it got me thinking about how important it is to surround Caelleb with positive adults because it doesn't take much time spent to make a lasting impact, positive or negative. . . Oh, and the thought of him going off to elementary school next year. . . I'm sure his teacher will be wonderful. But its scary. . . ya know?

No comments: