Tia is starting to form sentences. This past weekend she reminded me of something I forgot to mention earlier. . .
Friday, April 20th Bryndyn had a baseball game so he was going to be home late. He always calls me on his way home so when the phone rang at 9:15pm I knew it was him. I was NOT prepared for what he told me:
Me: Hey
Bryn: My cars on fire
Me: WHAT?
Bryn: I just called 911. My car is on fire.
Me: WHHHHAAAAAAT?
Since we've lived in Missouri (pushing 5 years) Bryn has gone through 5 cars. FIVE! One was totalled when a deer jumped out in front of him. The next was totalled when he slid on ice into a fence (both of these happened when he was driving out to the middle of nowhere to teach in Jamestown, MO our first year here, before he started working at Helias). The next two just died (or needed more repairs than they were worth). And finally, the last, and most dramatic, caught on fire. He was driving home from his game. He hadn't even gotten out of Jeff City yet. All of a sudden his car went haywire. The speedometer started going all over the place. The radio would cut off, then on, then back off. And then the car just died. Completely died. He coasted far enough to get off the highway. When he opened the hood of his car there were FLAMES! In retrospect (since he is OK), I wish we had what happened next on video. Bryn had JUST filled his car up with gas so he was justifiably scared that the car might blow up. He grabbed his computer & video camera out of the car and RAN! This is the part I wish I could have seen! :) He called 911 and then called me. So, I loaded the three kids up in the car and headed to JC to pick him up. I explained to Caelleb & Tia that we had to go pick up daddy because his car caught on fire. Of course I told them he was ok. It was late. Two minutes into the drive they were both out cold. Anyway, the next day they both remembered what I had told them and it was the talk of the weekend. Now, two weeks later, Tia hasn't forgotten. This past weekend anytime anything came up about Bryndyn needing a new car Tia would chime in, "My daddy car fire!" Aunt Kara saw someone smoking in their car while we were driving and pointed out to the kids how gross that was. Tia said: "my daddy car fire." :) (I'm glad she relates the two). We'd all be piling into the van and she'd say: "my daddy car fire." It was hilarious. Anyway, it was quite the eventful evening. Surprisingly, it didn't stress us out. Having only one car this past weekend was a nuisance, but our insurance took good care of us. We are now owners of a navy blue Saturn. It's not new, but its new to us! :) Lets just hope #6 can steer clear of deer, ice, major repairs & FIRE. :) Never a dull moment.
2 comments:
How have I not heard about this?? That's CRAZY. I'm so glad that he's okay. And it's really funny that Tia keeps bringing it up -- it must have really made an impression on her!
that's funny while totally NOT being funny at the same time. i'm glad he's ok. I think i would have grabbed the same things and RAN too!!!
Post a Comment