OK all of you readers out there (readers, meaning, people who love to read--not just this blog). I read an entire book over the weekend. Crazy, especially for me. Since we only got to take Caelleb on our weekend excursion to CA (which I will write more about soon, hopefully), I knew I'd have more down time. I grabbed a fiction book off the shelves in our bonus room and started reading it on the plane. I finished the book in the van on the way home from Kansas City. Lovely Bones. It definitely grabbed my attention from the opening chapter. And basically kept my attention the entire read. While I was immersed in it, I enjoyed it. Now that I've had time to reflect a little, I don't know if I'd recommend it or not. From the back cover of the book: "Out of unspeakable tragedy & loss, The Lovely Bones succeeds, miraculously, in building a tale filled with hope, humor, suspense, even joy." Some humor, definitely suspense, and yes, a little joy. . . but hope? Not so much. I liked it. But it was kind of depressing. I've often wondered how people who do not have faith in God get through tragedy? I think this book paints a pretty good picture of this scenario. I won't spoil it, in case some of you haven't read it. For those of you who have read it--what'd you think?
Also, with baseball season coming to an end and summer approaching, I think (hope) I will have more time to read in the very near future. Suggestions? Off the top of your head--what 3 books would you recommend?
7 comments:
I got the snack cups - awesome gift! Thank you SO much!
Off the top of my head for good reads: 1. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant(my all time fav) 2. Why Godly People Do Ungodly Things by Beth Moore 3. Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner
It was so good to see you - sorry we couldn't chat.
I love that book! It's one of my favorites. Here are a few others I loved:
-"Peace Like a River" by Leif Enger (You can probably guess why I picked it up.)
-"Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson
-"The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Nieffenger. I think I gave a copy of this one to Amy after she made me read "The Notebook."
I would just like to know: Where are my snack cups? Hmm?
someone else just recommended Walter Mosely (this post is my way of organizing my reading list for now. . .).
I think I felt the same way about the Lovely Bones as you did. I liked it, but I don't really know if I would recommend it to the masses. I haven't really read any books lately, but I do like Jennifer Weiner (although there was some language in the two books I read of hers, just in case that would hinder you. Actually, if you look over at the links on the side of my blog (below the blogs I read), you will see a link for "SnarkSpot." That is her blog, and occasionally she posts excerpts from her newer books. You can test her out!
I purchased the Nanny Diaries and the newest Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood book, but I haven't read them yet. I will let you know how they are when I get around to it.
Also, since you like baseball, Boone loves this book called The Brothers K (but not The Brothers Karamazov). His aunt also really enjoyed it, so you might check that one out. It is kind of long.
Keep us posted on any recommendations you have for us!
I haven't had much reading time lately, but recommend "Under the Banner of Heaven" wholeheartedly. It has been my favorite book in a while. It got me on a Mormon book kick that also included a book by Deborah Laake. Check 'em out!
Hope you don't mind Taina, but I am loving reading these recommendations, and I am going to ask my friends on my blog.
Nanny Diaries is a good book. I hesitate to use the word 'good', bc it will break your heart.
I love Richard Paul Evans - he's one of my favorite authors. Start with The Music Box to see if you like it. He's a Christian fiction writer, and his books tend to end up as movies.
I also love a good Jane Austin book for some girly, fluffy, comedic reading.
Post a Comment